Monday, August 24, 2009

Our first post in the cyber world!

Wow...our first post! Ha...I can't believe I'm finally doing this. I really didn't think anybody would be interested in reading our posts, but then I realized how much I loved reading my sister's and sister-in-law's blogs and how much I appreciated being able to keep updated when I was unable to stay in touch as frequently as I'd like to.
Also, for a while we only had sluggish dial up. We finally got rid of it and just used an iPhone. That really limited our internet communications. We stayed mostly on the receiving end of things and were unable to really stay in touch through e-mail and such. Until my wonderful husband explored all our options and decided to get us satilite, which was actually the only feasible option anyway, despite how expensive it will be. This is our first day trying it out and I am thrilled!
So, now we're finally able to begin blogging. Heaven knows how often I'll be able to update this, but I hope to keep it up.
Ok, so things here have been great. Seth and I just celebrated our 6th year anniversary and it just keeps getting better! I'm so thrilled to be married to such an amazing guy. I still feel like I did the day I married him, only now even more convinced than ever - that I am the most lucky girl in the world! I snagged him, girls, and everyone else has to settle for second best- ha!
Katrina is officially starting homeschooling this year. I am so intimidated by the whole thing. I feel like I don't exactly know what I am doing and I just keep praying I won't screw things up! Fortunatly, I have so much wonderful advice from the real homeschooling pioneers like my mother and Seth's mom. Plus my sister-in-law is in the midst of homeschooling three of her five children so far! I am surrounded by wise couselors, praise God!
Anyway, we started her first day today and it went beautifully, despite the two interruptions from little Michael, our two month old. :) Shiona was just as excited as Katrina and did her little school work too. She is surprisingly scholastic and loves doing workbooks.
I guess I feel like I could keep going on and on as this is my first post, but I should save some things for later.
Oh, one more thing. Michael has been having some skin problems lately. I guess medically it would be diagnosed as eczema. Most of his body feels like sandpaper. He seems to be covered in dry patches and no matter what kind of lotion I put on him his skin doesn't even seem to absorb it. I hope he isn't uncomfortable or itchy. I am trying many different home remedies and I hope I find something that works! Some people have recommeded hydrocortisone (sp?), but I really don't want to introduce something like that to his little body. Besides, I've read so many stories about how it will clear it up for a week or two then come back with a vengence. I don't want that to happen. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Ending my first post,
Karen

"This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end..." (um, don't finish that quote, just leave it like it is.)

7 comments:

Denise said...

Karen - I'm so happy you have a blog now!!! It will allow me to hopefully hear little snippets of what's going on with your precious family if I fail to call often enough! Plus... pictures are my favorite! :)
I know people have told you a lot about Michael's skin, and of course I have NO experience with eczema, but I do feel like Aquaphor has always solved Elyana's little skin issues very promptly (rash, dryness, etc). It's a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way. I'll bring some when we visit next weekend. :)
Your feeling intimidated by homeschooling is something I know I will too. Even motherhood, thinking about being solely in charge of Elyana's learning and development this early, intimidates me... But I just pray for wisdom all the time. At least I know that's a prayer God will answer. I just don't feel wise. :/
Love you guys!!!

Haley said...

Karen!

Yay! I just know I'm going to love reading your blog! I always feel like I'm not "up" on what is going on in the Robinson family, so this is very exciting news for Stuart and me! Stuart is always reading Denise's blog, and now I'm sure he'll be wanting to read the Robinson's too!

On a different note, I cannot believe Katrina started school! Wow! How the time does fly! I homeschooled at first as well, and I have the greatest memories of it! I remember my younger brother Harrison always wanting to sit with me while I did school too!

I'm really sorry about Michael's skin. It must be horrible not being able to communicate with him and just say, "What hurts?" We will keep you in our prayers!

Keep blogging!

A person said...

Hey Karen!! Being close to you I get an advantage of knowing a lot of what goes on, but I still miss some things (Like homeschooling!!? how did I not know that??)

I'm so glad you have a blog and I'm glad Michael's dryness is better. He's adorable!!

Mary

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Denise,

Thanks for the advice. I actually did buy some aquaphor because of what you had told me during my visit to GA. It just seems so greasy on his skin and doesn't seem to absorb. I feel like it winds up getting mostly on my skin and clothes! But I think overall it is getting better. Love you!

Karen

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Haley,

Thanks for your comment. I hope I can make mine half as interesting and delightful as you have made yours. I know how it is so nice to be able to stay in touch when we don't see you guys very often and don't call, so this should be good...if I keep it up! :)

Love you guys!
Karen

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Mary,

Sorry about the homeschool thing. It actually sneaked up on me as well! :) See you soon!

Love,
Karen

Life With Five Girls said...

Try virgin olive oil. The more natural the better. Skip the products with lots of chemicals, especially on baby skin. That's what I say!! Looking forward to reading more of your blog!