Monday, October 19, 2009

Autumn in the Air

I realize it has been a little while sine my last post. I've wanted to post weekly, but I knew that it wouldn't always work out so! Anyway, let me recap a few things that have been going on with us...

1. When we returned from the OBX we were greeted with the seasonally contrary weather of a Virginia Fall. Going from short sleeves in our drawers to rummaging through our boxed-up, long-sleeved shirts and warmer clothing. One can always tell the seasons changing by observing my feet. Socks say it all!

2. I'm getting back to schooling Katrina, which has been fun. I'm thinking of adding music and/or language to her studies, but I don't want to become overwhelmed. If anyone knows of a good program to use or any helpful tools for either of these field's of study, please share!

3. Michael turned 4 months old the other day! He is such a wonderful baby. We love him to death and he couldn't be better tempered! He is trying to roll from back to tummy and almost getting it. (You know how babies can't seem to figure out what to do with that arm that winds up stuck under their bellies? He's trying to work on that!) He can sit in the highchair and even uses the johnny-jump-up. Well, he just sits - he doesn't bounce yet. He grabs objects all the time and brings them to his mouth and he is beginning to like books. Katrina had a voracious appetite for books since she was two weeks old. However, Shiona and Michael seem to be much more particular. The books have to grab their attention and it helps to sing. Plus, they only liked/like one or two at a time. Shiona loves books now and could spend hours reading. His skin has improved so much that I'd say it is 95% resolved. Praise the Lord and thank you all for your advice and prayers in this matter.

4. Seth is off work a lot and around the house. He made quite a bit earlier this year and doesn't want to be earning too much more this year for tax reasons. I love having him here and he is always the most helpful, involved husband and father I know of. I'll be sad when he begins working steady again. :(

5. Shiona is my bunny. She changes in different ways and yet they are so subtle if I'm not paying attention I miss it. It is like colors changing in their own hues, like from mauve to pink instead of red to yellow. No stark changes, yet always changing. She is a special one who makes you earn her love and affection, but it is so worth it!

6. Katrina is our fun-loving, ever playful, super smart little sunshine. She constantly amazes me with her ability to comprehend things way beyond a girl of her age. She is so creative and has such a strong personality. Yet, with all that she is so sensitive to other people's feelings. She never wants to someone and she can sense when something is wrong with someone. She is such a unique child and I'm so happy she was our first!

7. Me? Well, still fighting to drop pounds off and always trying to improve my eating habits. I wonder, do other people struggle with the concept of 5 meals a day? I think it is right and it works, but I can't seem to fit 5 small meals in. I just had coffee for breakfast and it is almost noon! *sighs*. I'm loving this treadmill that Denise and Jonathan brought up when they came to visit. I burn so many more calories even with a 20 minute workout! Yeah!

Well, I want to post so much more, especially about the whole family being up for fall break and all the fun times we had, but it must wait. Duty calls!

4 comments:

Kristen + Scot said...

Hi Karen! Sounds like your life is a bit like my own...wonder why. I have been thinking you need to spend a few days with me to observe Samuel! Because for me it brings me back in time to what Seth was like as a boy!! The occasional bursts of opera like songs, or just any songs floating through his mind, his jolly good-naturedness, etc! It's something. Of course there are differences but those glimpses here and there make me smile and stop to remember; I know you would be amused. :-) Im glad your doing well. I have been trying to tone my abs with some intense exercises, resulting in sore stomach muscles. :-( I have enjoyed following your Love in Action blog too! Take care

Catherine said...

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a Johny-Jump-Up? (Besides a miniature pansy-like flower). :)

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Kristen,

Thanks for gracing my blog with your presence! I had to smile when you told me about Samuel. One thing I always found special about Seth was his openness to just sing whatever was in his heart. I was musing about that the other day when it struck me he doesn't do it that often anymore. I told him I noticed that and how much I missed it. He said he thought it was because he has so much on his mind now 'a days. However, he commenced his spontaneous singing once again. I'm so happy! :) Oh, and I understand about the stomach soreness. I would always get intense cramps in the evening after a hard ab workout. Love you!

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Catherine,

A Johnny-jump-up is a baby contraption that is like a bouncy swing that can be hung anywhere in the house under a doorway. pictures to follow...:)