Wednesday, October 7, 2009

OBX

Well, we had a wonderful vacation in the Outer Banks with Seth's parents and the Westbrooks. We arrived Sunday and thus began a never-ending, fun-filled cycle of trips to the beach, dips in the hot tub, romps on the nearby playground, and shopping excursions! The girls had a blast and spent their entire days with their cousins playing, playing, playing.

Being at the beach with a baby always has a little less freedom and flexibility to it, so Seth had the girls much of the time when I had to stay behind while Michael napped or nursed. At times I felt like the old saying, "ships passing in the night"; I would just be bringing Michael out to the beach or upstairs to where everyone was congregated and then they would just be coming back or leaving to go here or there! But, that is the way it is with babies and I am just so thankful Michael is such an easy baby that he could participate as much as he did. One day I even brought his car seat out to the ocean and let him nap out on the beach so I could enjoy being with everyone else. Don't get the wrong impression, though. I was very busy and having a lot of fun too! It just seemed like some times I would just be coming in at the "changing of the guard" type thing.

Course you know Seth made sure I had a wonderful time and watch the girls or held Michael a ton and even took me out on a date twice and made sure I had a looong nap one morning when I wasn't feeling too well! (Once was a double date with Scot and Kristen, which was a lot of fun!) Mr. Robinson even took Michael one time when he was really fussy. He took Michael to the ocean which made Michael fall asleep, and watched Michael for at least an hour afterward. It was a nice break for me and I'm sure a special time for grandpa and grandson!

Going to the beach I expected to eat less and exercise more. It turned out to be just the opposite! After exercising the first day I was very sore, so Seth asked me to not do too much so I wouldn't get sick on vacation. (I tend to push myself real hard then feel like I've got a cold or something for the next few days when I exercise very rigorously.) He's such a wonderful man! And of course I enjoyed Kristen's and Mrs. Robinson's delicious meals, but I didn't over eat. Still, I was afraid of the scale when I came home, but fortunately I think I neither gained or lost anything, so it was basically a fun week at the beach with no bad consequences! :)

Another nice thing while on vacation was the distribution of work! I only made two meals and don't recall actually fully cleaning the kitchen even once! I did a lot of laundry and had to keep my room and the girl's and one bathroom tidy, but that was pennies compared to the usual household chores! Plus, there never was a lack of hands willing to hold Michael while I ate, got the girls changed/cleaned or just took a break!

Some highlights were as follows:

1. Walking Michael along the beach to get him to sleep for his naps
2. Double date with Scot and Kristen at an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet
3. Hot tub times with the girls
4. Date with Seth! (Michael came along, too, of course)
5. Seth's Uncle Bill and Aunt Linda visiting and bringing home videos of Seth and his family when they were younger!
6. We got the bathroom with the large whirlpool...:)
7. Playing on the beach in the sand with everyone
8. Our annual trip to the sand dunes, but it wasn't quite as fun as other times because it was so dry and very little wind.

And lastly, I am happy to report we none of us suffered a sunburn, but Michael did get a little rosy in the cheeks from being outside so much! All in all a wonderful, memorable trip. Looking forward to next years...!!!

Oh yeah, and sorry to say, but I took next to none pictures! I know it is terrible, but I do have some video recordings. I know Mr. and Mrs. Robinson got some, so I will have to ask for some copies sometime. Oh well....

3 comments:

Denise said...

That does indeed sound like an amazing vacation! I am so glad you got to go on two dates as well! Also, the time Mr. Robinson took Michael to the beach just warmed my heart, so special!!! You are a great mommy to let them have that time. I hope I can follow your example!

Oh my goodness, YES to how a baby changes how you vacation (especially at the beach)! It made a HUGE difference when we found out there was a spot on the beach where our video monitor worked, though! It allowed me to go to the beach 2-3 times for a little sun w/Jonathan while Elyana napped. But then I'd have to head back in enough time to shower off before nursing, so it was a lot of work for an hour out there. :)

I get the whole "ships in the night" thing. I felt like I was "alone" a lot of the vacation to Savannah (though, I'm not complaining, it was just different). And of course, I wasn't alone, I was with my baby! But you know...

I think it's such a blessing to come home form splurging (little exercise & loose eating) and to have maintained your weight. Just this morning, I was afraid to step on the scale - and yet I did and I was the same weight. Maintaining is so much more encouraging than even going up 1/2 a lb! That's 1/2 a lb I feel like I've fought hard for and I don't want to lose!

Ok, I write way too much on here. I could talk to you forever! See ya later!

lislynn said...

Sounds like fun! Remind me to tell you about our first trip to the beach with Sofi, when she was seven months old-- vacationing with friends who had no children! Yikes! It's always nice to be around other parents who are more than willing to extend Grace :)

Seth and Karen's blog said...

Denise,

I'm sure your trip to Savannah was quite different than previous beach vacations! Hey - at least you still look good in a two-piece, though! Can't ever wear one other those after my babies! :( You have a great perspective for being such a young mother. I would feel sorry for myself a lot with all the "sacrifices" I had to make with my first child, but I don't think twice about it anymore! Wish I had your example for me back then!

Lisi,

Oh my goodness, the "vacation" you alluded to sounds hilarious! Ummm, I mean, probably when you recount it, but not actually going through it! It makes all the difference in the world to be with parents because they can be more understanding and empathetic! Do tell the whole story sometime! :)